When I launched the gerryruiz photoblog on September 25, 2007, I only had the faintest idea of what “blogging” was really about, nothing much except that it was a web log – some sort of a journal.
And I thought to myself, hey, wouldn’t it be nice to post photos in lieu of a diary-type journal? It would also serve as a repository for my budding digital photo files – photos taken with a point & shoot Sony Cybershot (and a good back-up in case my drive crashes again!)
I had no idea then where it would lead me to, nor did I expect that the passion on photography would eventually consume me in due time…
The photoblog also served as an outlet for me for the creative itchiness I would feel time and again. I was simply posting at will with no regularity at all – only when I felt like it and when something would come up which I thought would be interesting to share with my small circle of internet friends.
Hence, when Eric Dee, aka Byahilo – an established and known blogger based in Manila – urged me last June to join him and attend the Visayas Blogging Summit set for end of November in Iloilo City, my interest was rekindled. It was a chance for me to get to know more what blogging really is about and how the more established and known Filipino bloggers do it.
A planned historical and cultural tour around Iloilo during the summit was the clincher! Great photo ops!
Hence I booked early to avail of cheaper airfares and had my mind set on attending the Visayas Blogging Summit in Iloilo on Nov 27 & 28.
And so the time finally came – I flew to Iloilo last Friday, November 26 for the Visayas Blogging Summit.
The whole day summit was held at Cinema 2 inside Iloilo’s SM City. Had the chance to meet fellow bloggers from Iloilo, Bacolod, Roxas, Cebu and some coming from Manila. Great time comparing notes and having extended exchange of ideas!
(Above) Iloilo City Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog delivers his welcome address
Marie Claire Bretaña Ponsaran, president of Iloilo Bloggers, Inc.
A performer of the Dinagyang Festival during the Opening Ceremonies.
And the topics and resource speakers were pretty cool!
- “Blogging 102: I have a blog. Now what?” handled by Aileen Apolo
- “Blogging Advocay” by Flowell Galindez.
- “Social Media and Citizenshp: Elections and Beyod” by Tonyo Cruz
- “Role of Bloggers as New Media” by Ria Jose
- “Blogging Ethics: What’s Hot and What’s Not” by Jayvee Fernandez
- “Selling the Best of the Philippines through Blogging” by Estan Cabigas
- “How can we Protect our Intellectual Property Rights?” by Anton Sheker
- “Impact of Blogs and Social Networking Sites to Businesses” by Janette Toral
- “101 Ways of Earning Money through Blogging” by Fitz Villafuerte
- “Internet Governance: Implications & Opportunities” by Blogie Robillo
- “Why Visayans should Blog” by Lloyd Tronco
Above: Aileen Apolo
Capping the day’s lectures was the Philippine Blog Awards Visayas – a much waited yearly awarding event held to recognize the best blogs in the Visayas region! And, oh, did I mention I was among the nominees for the Best Photo Blog category???
We all trooped to The Venue for the announcement of winners and the awarding ceremonies…
(From left) Estan Cabigas, Blogie Robillo, Jayvee Fernandez, Fitz Villafuerte and Anton Sheker
Juned Sonido of the Philippine Blog Awards
And the winners are… (drumroll)…
- Best culture and arts blog: Michael’s Shades of Blue
- Best food and beverage blog: Flavours of Iloilo
- Best lifestyle blog: Ilonggos.net
- Best tech blog: Tech Source
- Best personal blog: The Rookie Blogger
- Best travel blog: Ambot-ah
- Best photo blog: gerryruiz photoblog
Whew! Blew me away! What a way to cap the day!
Thank you, thank you all!